Thursday 7 February 2013

Wolfgang Weingart Analysis


The designer of the piece of work is Wolfgang Weingart. He was born in 1941 in Germany during World War 2 and is now a well known typographer as he is the creator of Swiss Punk typography. It is unknown what this piece of work was made for, it could possibly be a frame from a video as it looks like ti should be moving. I have chosen to analyse this piece as my brief is to create something similar. 

I have looked at many different websites to help me learn more about the designer and his work. such as http://www.typotheque.com/articles/wolfgang_weingart_typography

He used techniques such as letterpress, film and plate making to create his typography. The artist mainly uses black and white for his work this may be because only black ink was available at the time or because he liked to keep a strong contrast in colours. 

This second piece of his work below is very different as the shapes used to represent the letters are more complex and it is hard to understand what some of them are unlike the standard font used above. This typography is also still and clear where as the other typography that looks like it is spinning around the page. 


At first I found the work quite confusing as it is difficult to understand some of the fonts he uses but after researching it and looking at more examples I grew to like it. I like it because it is unusual and cleverly made. The second piece reminds me of something you would see in a science book. The work has inspired me to try and create something original and complex.

No comments:

Post a Comment