Sunday 4 November 2012

Evaluation

Our brief for this project was to choose a musician or band to produce an album for. We had to create a logo, piece of packaging, album booklet and CD design for our chosen artist. We had to use the experiments/techniques from the AS-A2 project to help us come up with ideas. My chosen artist was Rihanna and her album 'Talk That Talk'. To come up with this idea I created a mind map of different artists and music genres. I then experimented with a few of my favourite choices in the AS-A2 project and from them I chose that Rihanna was the best option for me.
Once I decided who i was creating the album for I could start thinking about what I wanted to do. The first task was to create a logo for Rihanna that would be featured on the CD case. I created two pages of initial ideas using lots of different materials and techniques, I then analysed them and chose the ones I wanted to develop further. Next I followed lots of different tutorials from YouTube to help me learn how to create a stylish, professional looking logo. From all these experiments I was able to come up with a final design, using one of the shapes from my initial logo ideas. Now I had to research analyse lots of different CD packaging, create mind maps and mood boards to give me inspiration for my own album idea. From looking at the Jakebox design i knew I wanted to try and create a similar design, something with a unique, cleverly made mechanism to give it the wow factor. I also experimented with using different packaging materials and ideas, such as newspaper, fabric and origami. Since I was still stuck for ideas I decided to look at different CD packages that I found around my house. This is where I came up with the idea of having a mechanism that allows two sides to pull out together at the same time, I later found out this was called a 'push n pull card'. To create the surface design I practised with lots of different techniques in Photoshop and Illustrator by following YouTube tutorials. My first idea was that I wanted to have an exploded effect of Rihanna's face, made up of squares. When I was looking for a tutorial for this I came across a smashed glass effect that I liked a lot more. After Experimenting with this idea I decided to us it for my final design.
Jakob Skarin inspired the final outcome for my packaging as I wanted to create a similar innovative design to his. Jeff Zoet inspired my final album artwork and surface design. I decided to use the smashed glass effect as it was very powerful and I felt that it related to my artist as she has a lot of attitude.
Jakebox:


I think the album artwork and surface design worked very well as it suits my chosen artist, Rihanna very well. This is because its has a powerful, urban and stylish effect. I am definitely happy with my final outcome.
To improve my outcome I would need to edit my album booklet. This is because I had to take out some of the pages at last minute as it was too thick. To change this I could try and print pages double sided so less paper is needed. I would also like to make it easier to open the CD packaging, possibly by adding tabs for the customer to pull.
Overall I think the project went well, I enjoyed creating the album and would like to create more packaging in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment