Sunday 22 January 2012

Unit 1, Retail Graphics Project: Evaluation

For this project we had to set up a shop of our choice, choosing what the target audience of the shop will be, type of shop and what the theme will be. We then had to come up with a company name and design a logo, piece of packaging, a swing tag and an animated web advertisement to go with it. 



I chose to put the city scape into the logo as it matches the name of the shop 'Electric City' and the theme of the shot, that is urban. Where as the lightening bolt that features in some of my other logo ideas maybe put across the wrong idea of what the shop is selling. I got the inspiration of adding the city from the city lights image on one of my mood boards. I chose to make the logo fit around the shape of the shop name which had been drawn in between two outwards bending curves. This helps to give the logo a more unique shape compared to other logos. I decided to only add one colour (navy) to my logo to keep it simple and versatile. This is because after researching lots of different logs i realized they were mostly all black and white probably because if they became too complex they would not look as good when adding the logo to other products. Finally I added 'clothing + shoes' along the bottom of the logo to make it clear about what the shop sells. I could improve this font by making it on the computer instead of by hand.



I chose to make an open top box with a slide on cover as its an unusual design compared to other shoe boxes that all seem to have a similar design. It also gives easy access to the shoes inside for the customer to look at. The extra tabs on the box that over lap other more important tabs make it a stronger piece so its less likely to get damaged and will also provide extra protection for the shoes inside. If i had more time i would make the extra tabs have edges that slope inwards slightly and make them slightly shorter than the sides so they would fit more neatly into the box. my inspiration for the shoe box came from the red shoe box/bag shown on my packaging research post.
I decided to add a city across the top side of the box cover so I could cut out windows so the product inside can be seen from the outside. I also made the buildings navy blue to give a strong, bold contrast between the back and front layers on the box. This idea was the most effective compared to my others as it was the most eye catching and stylish. To improve I would re do the windows and cut them out more carefully to make it a better quality. I got the idea of cutting out the windows from the 'Soapworks' box that I did an analysis of.
I added an edited version of my logo to the end of the box where it will be most visible to customers and on the bottom of the cover with the other information about the product. If I had more time i would go back and re edit my logo as the yellow outline is not clearly visible all the way around the words, also the city scape has a double line and overall doesn't look as good as it could. The reason I added the yellow lines was to give it a glowing effect and also to make it stand out from the rest of the box.


I chose this idea over others as it is a more complex with  a more interesting shape and design, compared to the others that have a more common shape. I also liked this design best as the yellow stands out really well from the background and also gives a good effect of light shining through the windows of the layer above. Where as the other designs that weren't as bold or visible on the navy blue background. The reason I chose to use a two layered swing tag was because it would allow more room for information and also it works well with my design. If I had a chance to remake the tag I would make the windows slightly smaller and more the circular hole for the string away from the edge as these parts will easily be ripped. Also I would add more information about the product on the back.

Conclusion: I enjoyed coming up with ideas and designs for this project, as i enjoy clothes shopping in my spare time this was a fun project for me. Overall i felt the project went quite well as i managed to finish all of the work, although if i had more time i would of been able to make more improvements to my final outcomes.

No comments:

Post a Comment