Monday 15 October 2012

Album artwork development

Hand drawing:


I redrew the smashed effect but this time to fit the size of the CD cover, 12cm x 12cm. I also drew the writing in red Biro this time to give the image some contrast so it stands out better.

Illustrator pen tool:



I scanned in the hand drawn design and opened the picture in illustrator. Where I then drew other the lines using the pen tool, at different stroke sizes. I did the writing separately using the Papyrus font in red. I added a grey background to one of the ideas to see how it would look. 



This idea is similar to the one above apart from I removed the typography and changed the background colour to dark grey. 


Live Trace:

For the final idea I used the hand drawn image, opened it in illustrator and used the live trace option, i adjusted some of the effects and ended up with this.



Next I used the live paint bucket to change the colour of the writing back to red.

Overall I think the live trace experiment worked the best as it kept the quality sketchy look of the hand drawn piece but made the contrast of the lines and colours look a lot sharper and more professional. The pen tool technique was my least favourite as it lost the sketchy look, which also took away the glass effect look from the design. I will be using the live trace design to develop further for my final album artwork.


No comments:

Post a Comment